Serves: 12, Calories: 405
- 350g plain flour. 1198
- 200g cold butter, cubed. 1502
- 2 tbsp (60g) icing sugar. 240
- 2 egg yolks. 120
- 2 tbsp cold water = 3120
- 6-8 (1kg total flesh) Bramley apples. 540
- 175g Demerara sugar. 700
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- 50g butter. 375
- 30g cornflour - slurry. 102
- 1 tsp G/sugar to sprinkle (optional). 20
- = 1737
- Filling: In large mixing bowl; Pour water and lemon. Core, peel and dice apples. Submerge in liquid until required.
- In sauté pan; Melt butter. Add drained apples, sugar and spices. Stir well. Cook for 10 mins until juices release, apples are almost desired tenderness and sauce is produced. Thicken with slurry. Bubble. Transfer to Pyrex dish. Cool for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C Fan/Gas Mark 7.
- Pastry: In large mixing bowl; Rub flour, butter and icing sugar to breadcrumb consistency. Add egg yolks and water, cut in with knife. Ball together.
- Divide into two balls, one slightly larger.
- Flatten and wrap in plastic, chill for 30 mins minimum.
- Roll larger ball to 3mm thick (green guide bands).
- Line 9" pie dish. Trim a little. Egg/milk wash edge.
- Fill pie with apples and juice.
- Roll smaller ball to 3mm thick.
- Cover pie. Trim. Crimp edges. Egg/Milk wash top. Cut vents. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 mins then turn oven to 180°C. Bake for 30 mins covered with foil. Remove foil and bake for approx 30 mins more until filling bubbles through vents.
- Remove from oven. Cool for 2 hours.
Calories = 4857
- 4857 / 6 = 810
- 4857 / 8 = 607
- 4857 / 12 = 405
(Less due to pastry offcuts)
Tip: To make sure pie is cooked, allow 10 mins more baking time, after filling starts to bubble through vents.
Tip: For a sweeter tooth, add 20% more sugar! This will depend on apples used.
Alternatively: Heat 150g sultanas in 75ml Brandy in microwave, for 2 mins, until swollen. Stir into almost cooked apples (1 less apple as per recipe) before compiling pie. Add 10g more cornflour to slurry. Increases calories to overall recipe by 612.
Note: Use half quantities of filling in 6.¾" white pie dish. For pastry, use 200g plain flour, 110g butter, 34g icing sugar, 1 yolk and 1 tbsp water. Bake for 15 mins at 200°C, 30 mins with foil, then 20 mins at 170°C, without foil.
Note: Allow 10 mins more oven time if filling was chilled, prior to compiling pie.
Note: Consider that approx 30% of your fruit will be lost, once cored and peeled.
Toffee Sauce for Pouring (approx 400g):
- 120g light muscovado sugar. 480
- 60g dark muscovado sugar. 240
- 36g butter. 276
- 2 tbsp (36ml) golden syrup. 223
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or ½ tsp extract). 41
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150ml double Elmlea. 527.
- In medium saucepan; Place all ingredients except cream.
- Stir over gentle heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to rolling boil. Stir in cream off heat.
- Pour into sterilised jar. Cool.
- Keeps in fridge for 2 weeks.
Calories for sauce = 1787