Serves: 12, Calories: 398
- 350g plain flour. 1198
- 200g cold butter, cubed. 1502
- 2 tbsp (60g) icing sugar. 240
- 2 egg yolks. 120
- 2 tbsp cold water = 3120
- 3-4 (500g total flesh) Bramley apples. 270
- 500g frozen blackberries, thawed. 185
- 175g Demerara sugar. 700
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 50g butter. 375
- 30g cornflour - slurry. 102
- 1 tsp G/sugar to sprinkle (optional). 20
- = 1652
- Filling: In large mixing bowl; Pour water and lemon. Core, peel and dice apples. Submerge in liquid until required.
- In sauté pan; Melt butter. Add drained apples, sugar and spices. Stir well. Cook for 10 mins until juices release and apples are almost desired tenderness. Stir in blackberry juice.
- Thicken with slurry. Bubble. Stir in blackberries. Transfer to Pyrex dish. Cool for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C Fan/Gas Mark 7.
- Pastry: In large mixing bowl; Rub flour, butter and icing sugar to breadcrumb consistency. Add egg yolks and water, cut in with knife. Ball together.
- Divide into two balls, one slightly larger.
- Flatten and wrap in plastic, chill for 30 mins minimum.
- Roll larger ball to 3mm thick (green guide bands).
- Line 9" pie dish. Trim a little. Egg/milk wash edge.
- Fill pie with fruit and juice.
- Roll smaller ball to 3mm thick.
- Cover pie. Trim. Crimp edges. Egg/Milk wash top. Cut vents. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 mins then turn oven to 180°C. Bake for 30 mins covered with foil. Remove foil and bake for approx 30 mins more until filling bubbles through vents.
- Remove from oven. Cool for 2 hours.
Calories = 4772
- 4772 / 6 = 795
- 4772 / 8 = 597
- 4772 / 12 = 398
(Less due to pastry offcuts)
Tip: To make sure pie is cooked, allow 10 mins more baking time, after filling starts to bubble through vents.
Tip: For a sweeter tooth, add 20% more sugar! This will depend on fruit used.
Tip: If using fresh berries (any), cook separately to personal taste. Add to pan of 4-5 (650g) cooked apples when right consistency.
Alternatively: Experiment! Swap blackberries for 500g frozen and thawed gooseberries/plums/loganberries. Adjust sugar, spices and cornflour to personal taste. Other recipe ingredients remain same. Also try below;
- gooseberry, honey, vanilla, elderflower, caramel.
- plum, rum, ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon, orange, almond.
- loganberries, nutmeg, cinnamon, almond, brandy.
Note: Use half quantities of filling in 6.¾" white pie dish. For pastry, use 200g plain flour, 110g butter, 34g icing sugar, 1 yolk and 1 tbsp water. Bake for 15 mins at 200°C, 30 mins with foil, then 20 mins at 170°C, without foil.
Note: Allow 10 mins more oven time if filling was chilled, prior to compiling pie.
Note: Consider that approx 30% of your fruit will be lost, once cored and peeled.