Serves: 24, Calories: 304
- 375g caster sugar. 1500
- 120ml veg oil, OR, 160g soft butter. 1202
- 3 large eggs. 225
- 1 tsp fine coffee powder
- 100ml sour cream (optional). 187
- 275g plain flour, sifted. 941
- 75g natural cocoa powder, sifted. 289
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 200ml milk (room temp / microwave from cold on defrost for 40 secs). 98
Buttercream Topping: (whisked)
- 190g butter, softened. 1427
- 200g icing sugar, sifted. 1060
- 65g Bournville powder. 267
- ½ tsp fine coffee powder
- 2-3 tsp milk. 30
- 15g dark choc vermicelli to decorate. 74
- Preheat oven to 160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line 12x9" Pyrex roaster.
- All ingredients must be warm room temp.
- Cake: In large mixing bowl; Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking well between additions.
- Whisk in sour cream.
- Briefly fold in ½ flour, ½ cocoa plus baking powder, salt and ½ milk.
- Fold in remaining flour, cocoa, coffee and milk until just combined.
- Pour into dish. Bake for 75 mins. Cover with foil from 35 mins.
- Cool for 40 mins in dish. Remove. Cool completely.
- Buttercream: In medium Pyrex bowl; Whisk butter, icing sugar, Bournville and coffee, with a fork, until pale and creamy.
- Whisk in milk until smooth and spreadable.
- Top cake with buttercream and vermicelli.
Calories = 7300
- 7300 / 24 = 304
- 7300 / 20 = 365
Tip: Makes 24 cupcakes. Bake for 16-20 mins.
Tip: Substitute sour cream for Greek yogurt, OR, Mascarpone, OR, leave out entirely. Cake will taste fine but not be as moist after 2 days.