Serves: 12, Calories: 437
- 200g butter, softened. 1502
- 200g self raising flour, sifted. 670
- 200g caster sugar. 800
- 4 eggs. 300
- 2 tsp vanilla essence (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk. 60
- 100ml sour cream (optional). 187
- 100g butter (125g), softened. 751
- 140g icing sugar (175g), sifted. 560
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or ½ tsp extract)
- 2-3 tsp milk (optional - use if piping). 30
- 150g strawberry jam. 378
- Preheat oven to 160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line 2x 8" sandwich tins.
- Cake: In large mixing bowl; Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add 2 tbsp flour with last egg.
- Optional: Whisk in sour cream.
- Fold in remaining flour and baking powder with 2 tbsp milk. Divide between tins.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- Remove from tins after 10 mins cooling.
- Filling: In medium Pyrex bowl; Cream butter, icing sugar and vanilla, with a fork.
- Spread filling over flat side of one cake.
- Spread ayer of jam on other cake.
- Sandwich two cakes together. Dust with icing sugar.
Calories = 5238
- 5238 / 12 = 437
Tip: Sour cream increases life of cake from 3 days to 5.
Alternatively: For Orange and Plum Sponge, mix zest from 1.½ oranges into batter and substitute milk for orange juice. Mix zest from ½ orange into buttercream. Spread with plum jam too.
Alternatively: For Custard Buttercream (with blackberry/ apple/ raspberry/ rhubarb jam);
- 100g butter
- 140g icing sugar
- 20-30g custard powder
- 2-3 tsp milk. (optional - use if piping)