Serves: 12, Calories: 398
- 200g butter, softened. 1502
- 150g self raising flour, sifted. 502
- 50g natural cocoa powder. 166
- 200g caster sugar. 800
- 4 eggs. 300
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk. 15
- ¾ tsp fine coffee powder
- 100ml sour cream (optional)
- 100g butter. 751
- 110g icing sugar, sifted. 440
- 50g Bournville powder, sifted. 277
- ⅛ tsp fine coffee powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or ½ tsp extract). 17
- 2-3 tsp milk. 20 (optional - use if piping)
- Preheat oven to 160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line 2x 8" sandwich tins.
- Cake: In large mixing bowl; Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add 2 tbsp flour with last egg.
- Optional: Whisk in sour cream.
- Fold in remaining flour, cocoa, coffee and baking powder with 2 tbsp milk. Divide between tins.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- Remove from tins after 10 mins cooling.
- Filling: In medium Pyrex bowl; Cream butter, icing sugar, cocoa, coffee and vanilla, with a fork.
- Spread over flat side of one cake.
- Sandwich two cakes together. Dust with chocolate powder (optional).
Calories = 4770
- 4770 / 12 = 398
Tip: Sour cream increases life of cake from 3 days to 5.