Serves: 12, Calories: 505
- 200g butter, softened. 1502
- 150g self raising flour, sifted. 502
- 50g natural cocoa powder. 166
- 200g caster sugar. 800
- 4 eggs. 300
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 tsp milk (or brandy). 15
- ¾ tsp fine coffee powder
- 80ml sour cream. 150
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cherry cordial. 12
- 4 tbsp (60ml) brandy. 99
- 300g home made cherry compote. 350
- 20g icing sugar. 80
- 200ml real double cream. 878
- 60g butter, softened. 450
- 75g icing sugar, sifted. 300
- 40g Bournville cocoa powder, sifted. 144
- 60ml real double cream. 263
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or ½ tsp extract). 17
- Preheat oven to 160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line 2x 8" sandwich tins.
- Cake: In large mixing bowl; Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add 2 tbsp flour with last egg.
- Optional: Whisk in sour cream.
- Fold in remaining flour, cocoa, coffee and baking powder with milk/brandy. Divide between tins.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- Remove from tins after 10 mins cooling.
- Filling: In large Pyrex bowl; Whisk cream slowly to soft peaks.
- Add icing sugar and whisk to firm peaks.
- Prick bottom cake layer all over and drizzle on 2-3 tbsp cherry brandy/kirsch.
- Spread filling on bottom cake layer.
- Spread cherry compote on top of cream.
- Sandwich second cake on top.
- Topping: In medium Pyrex bowl; Whisk butter, with a fork, until softened.
- Add icing sugar, cocoa, vanilla and cream, and whisk slowly to firm peaks.
- Prick top cake layer all over and drizzle on 2-3 tbsp cherry brandy/kirsch.
- Spread topping on top of cake.
- Store in fridge upto 3 days.
Calories = 6061
- 6061 / 12 = 505
Tip: Sour cream increases life of cake from 3 days to 5 so long as no cream is used in filling. Try vanilla buttercream as an alternative instead.