Serves: 12, Calories: 455
- 200g butter, softened. 1502
- 150g self raising flour, sifted. 502
- 50g ground almonds. 320
- 200g caster sugar. 800
- 4 eggs. 300
- 2 tsp almond essence (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk. 60
- 100ml sour cream (optional). 187
- 100g butter (125g), softened. 751
- 140g icing sugar (175g), sifted. 560
- 1 tsp almond essence, (or ½ tsp extract)
- 2-3 tsp milk (optional - use if piping). 30
- 150g strawberry jam. 378
- 10g flaked almonds. 64
- Preheat oven to 160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line 2x 8" sandwich tins.
- Cake: In large mixing bowl; Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add 2 tbsp flour with last egg.
- Optional: Whisk in sour cream.
- Fold in remaining flour, ground almonds and baking powder with 2 tbsp milk. Divide between tins.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- Remove from tins after 10 mins cooling.
- Filling: Spread jam on one cake. Sandwich both cakes together.
- Topping: In large Pyrex bowl; Cream butter, icing sugar and almond essence, with a fork. Whisk in dash of milk if necessary. Spread over top of cake.
- Scatter with flaked almonds.
Calories = 5454
- 5454 / 12 = 455
Tip: Sour cream increases life of cake from 3 days to 5.