Makes: 12, Calories: 412
- 50g butter, melted. 375
- 200ml semi skimmed milk. 98
- 1 egg, beaten. 75
- 15ml lemon / orange juice. 12
- 500g strong white bread flour. 1720
- 1x 7g sachet fast action dried yeast. 22
- 75g caster sugar. 300
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50g apricot jam, melted. 128
- 30g soft light brown sugar. 120
- 30g soft dark brown sugar. 120
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 100g dried mixed fruit. 332
- 75g dried cranberries. 246
- 225g marzipan, cubed. 941
- 100 icing sugar. 400
- 20ml brandy. 56
- ¼ tsp orange essence
- Dough: In jug; Microwave milk to body temp. Mix in butter and juice. Beat in egg.
- In large plastic bowl; Combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Stir in wet ingredients until dough forms.
- On lightly floured surface; Knead for 10 mins until smooth and springy.
- Return to bowl, cover with clean tea towel, leave to double in size for 90 mins.
- Grease and line 14x10" Pyrex roaster.
- Once dough has risen, roll out to 12x18".
- Filling: Spread dough with jam. Leave ½" border on one long side.
- In small Pyrex bowl; Mix sugar and spices. Scatter evenly over dough. Scatter fruit and marzipan evenly over sugar.
- Brush water along long edge of dough. Roll towards this side. Press closed.
- Trim ends. Cut evenly into 12.
- Space buns apart in roaster, 4 by 3.
- Cover with towel. Rest for 45 mins.
- Preheat oven to 160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Bake for 25 mins until golden.
- Cool for 15 mins. Remove from roaster. Slide swirls from parchment onto rack. Cool for 1 hr.
- Glaze: In medium Pyrex bowl; Mix icing sugar, brandy and orange until smooth.
- Drizzle over swirls. Let set.
- Break apart. Serve.
Calories = 4945
- 4945 / 12 = 412
Tip: If no milk, use 20g Marvel milk power mixed into 200ml water.
Tip: Acid helps develop gluten. Dough enhancers include ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to improve rise. If no lemon/orange juice, use ½ amount vinegar.
Tip: Poke dough with a finger after first proof (step 6). It should spring back halfway.
Tip: Freeze baked (cooled) swirls for upto 2 months. Defrost and glaze once required.