Serves: 4-6, Calories: 412, Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 onion, chopped. 75
- 4 tsp garlic paste. 68
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 500g tomato passata. 175
- 20g desiccated coconut. 126
- 40g ground almonds. 256
- 200ml double Elmlea. 494
- 1 tsp chilli purée. 10
- 2 tsp paprika
- 20g sugar. 80
- 1.½ tbsp veg oil. 186
- 4 chicken breasts, chunked. 1000
- 1.½ tsp garam masala
- In sauté pan; Sear chicken in oil over medium heat. 10 mins.
- Stir in garam masala. Sear chicken until lightly browned. 5 mins. Set aside.
- In same pan; Cook onion in ½ tbsp oil until golden, 5 mins.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 1 min.
- Stir in cumin, salt, ginger, chilli powder, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom and ground coriander. Fry for 2 mins.
- Stir in passata, coconut and almonds, bring to boil, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Add Elmlea, paprika, chilli purée and sugar. Simmer for 10 mins, stir until thick.
- Transfer chicken to sauce.
- Simmer for 20 mins, covered. Stir occasionally. Add water if too thick.
- Adjust salt and sugar to taste (optional).
- Serve with rice, Indian Spiced Potatoes, Gobi Aloo, Bombay Aloo or Baked Onion Bhajis.
Calories = 2470
- 2470 / 6 = 412
Tip: At the start, velvet chicken pieces with 1 large egg white whisked with 40g cornflour and dash of milk. Toss chicken in mixture. Sear to seal. Set aside and add back to sauté pan at step 2.
Alternatively: Swap chicken breasts for 300g potatoes, chunked (243 cals). 200g carrots, chunky slices (82 cals). Add at same time as would chicken for 30 mins. Warm through can of chickpeas (292 cals) for final 5 mins. 383 cals less overall. 348 cals for a 6th.